A tablet with a detachable keyboard running on Windows OS can be a great option for those looking for a portable and flexible device, as an alternative to a laptop. After evaluating various models, we have narrowed down the list to the best of the best, that are worth considering.
Table of Contents
When looking to buy a Windows tablet in 2023, there are several factors to consider to ensure you get the best device for your needs.
Make sure the tablet you are considering runs on the latest version of Windows. This will ensure that you have access to the latest features and security updates.
Look for a tablet with a high-resolution display, as this will ensure that text, images, and videos are crisp and clear. A larger screen size can also be beneficial for watching videos or using the device for work.
A powerful processor is essential for smooth performance and multitasking. Look for a tablet with a fast processor, such as the Intel Core i5 or i7.
Consider how much storage you will need for your files, documents, and media. A tablet with at least 128GB of storage is recommended, and some models also offer expandable storage through a microSD card.
Look for a tablet with long battery life, as this will ensure that you can use the device for extended periods without needing to charge it.
If you plan to use the tablet for typing, consider purchasing a model that comes with a detachable keyboard. This will make it more convenient to use the device as a laptop alternative.
Look for additional features that may be important to you, such as a fingerprint reader for added security, or a built-in stylus for writing and drawing.
By taking these factors into account, you will be able to find the best Windows tablet for your needs in 2023.
1. Microsoft Surface Pro 8
The 13″ touchscreen display boasts a resolution of 2880×1920 for sharp and vibrant visuals, perfect for streaming, gaming, and content creation.
The device is powered by the Intel Evo platform and an Intel Core i5 processor with a clock speed of 4.2 GHz, providing powerful performance for demanding tasks.
8 GB of LPDDR4 RAM allows for smooth multitasking and fast performance.
256 GB of SSD storage offers ample space to store your files, documents, and media.
The Intel Iris Xe graphics card delivers smooth and detailed visuals, making it ideal for gaming and video editing.
The built-in Kickstand and detachable keyboard provide the flexibility to switch between laptop and tablet modes, making it perfect for both work and entertainment.
The device runs on the latest Windows 11 operating system, which brings you closer to what you love with new features and tools that make it easier to be efficient.
The included rechargeable Surface Slim Pen 2 offers a natural pen-on-paper experience, making it ideal for taking notes, drawing, and sketching.
The Surface Signature Keyboard is sleek and compact, yet performs like a traditional laptop keyboard, complete with backlit keys and a full function row, providing a comfortable typing experience.
The 8 MP rear webcam is perfect for video conferencing and online meetings.
The device comes pre-installed with Microsoft 365, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, so you can get to work right away.
The Surface Pro 8 is available in a sleek Platinum color and it’s lightweight and portable, weighing only 1.96 pounds and dimensions of 9.06 x 12.22 x 1.97 inches.
The device features 802.11ax wireless technology, ensuring fast and stable internet connection.
The device offers up to 15 hours of battery life, allowing you to stay productive and entertained throughout the day.
- Powerful performance with the Intel Evo platform and Intel Core i5 processor
- High-resolution touchscreen display for sharp and vibrant visuals
- Ample storage space with 256 GB of SSD storage
- Strong multitasking capabilities with 8 GB of LPDDR4 RAM
- Detachable keyboard and built-in Kickstand for flexibility as a laptop or tablet
- Rechargeable Surface Slim Pen 2 for a natural pen-on-paper experience
- Surface Signature Keyboard with backlit keys for comfortable typing
- 8 MP rear webcam for video conferencing
- The device is quite expensive
- Battery life may not be as long as advertised
- Some users may not find the Surface Pen 2 to be as responsive as some other stylus options
- The device is not upgradable after purchase
- The keyboard is not included in the package and it’s sold separately
- The device is not designed for heavy gaming, even though it has the Intel Iris Xe graphics card.
2. Asus Vivobook 13 Slate OLED T3300
The ASUS VivoBook 13 Slate OLED features a 13.3″ FHD OLED touch display with Corning Gorilla Glass protection, providing stunning visuals and vibrant colors. The display has an aspect ratio of 16:9 and a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, with a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. The OLED technology allows for a wider color range and deeper blacks, making it perfect for media consumption and creative work. The display is also HDR certified, providing a more immersive viewing experience.
The device is powered by an Intel Pentium N6000 Quad-Core Processor with 4M Cache and up to 3.3 GHz speed, providing fast and efficient performance for basic tasks such as web browsing and document editing.
Memory and Storage:
The device comes with 8GB LPDDR4X on board RAM and 256GB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD, providing ample space for storing files and running multiple applications. The LPDDR4X RAM provides fast data transfer speeds while the NVMe SSD provides fast boot and loading times.
The device runs on Windows 11 Home, providing a smooth and familiar user experience. Windows 11 offers new features such as a new start menu, snap layout, and touchpad gestures.
The device has a pantone validated, DCI-P3: 100% glossy display with 93% screen-to-body ratio, providing an immersive viewing experience. The high screen-to-body ratio allows for a more compact design and a larger display area.
The device has 2 USB 3.0 ports for connecting external devices, such as external hard drives or flash drives.
The device comes with a built-in stylus holder and a complimentary stylus, allowing for precise and accurate input on the display.
The device comes with a sleeve, stand and stylus in the box, providing additional protection and versatility.
The device has a sleek black design, making it a stylish and professional-looking device.
Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription:
The device comes with a complimentary 1-month Adobe Creative Cloud subscription with the purchase, allowing access to a wide range of creative tools such as Photoshop and Illustrator.
The device weighs 6.5 pounds and its dimensions are 17.3 x 3.9 x 11.4 inches, making it lightweight and portable.
- The 13.3″ FHD OLED touch display provides stunning visuals and vibrant colors, making it perfect for media consumption and creative work.
- The Intel Pentium N6000 Quad-Core Processor with 4M Cache and up to 3.3 GHz speed provides fast and efficient performance for basic tasks.
- 8GB LPDDR4X onboard RAM and 256GB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD provide ample space for storing files and running multiple applications.
- The device runs on Windows 11 Home, providing a smooth and familiar user experience.
- The Pantone validated, DCI-P3: 100% glossy display with 93% screen-to-body ratio provides an immersive viewing experience.
- 2 USB 3.0 ports for connecting external devices, such as external hard drives or flash drives.
- The device comes with a built-in stylus holder and a complimentary stylus, allowing for precise and accurate input on the display.
- The Intel Pentium N6000 Processor may not be powerful enough for heavy-duty tasks such as video editing or gaming.
- The device does not come with an optical drive, so you would have to rely on external drives or cloud storage for DVD or CD use.
- The device’s battery life may not be as long as devices with more energy-efficient processors.
- The device doesn’t include a dedicated graphics card, which makes it less suitable for demanding graphics tasks.
- Windows 11 is still a new OS, some users may have difficulty adapting to the new features and changes.
- The device is not upgradeable, the RAM and storage are soldered to the motherboard.
3. Microsoft Surface Go 3
High-resolution display with 220ppi for clear and vibrant visuals. The touchscreen technology allows for easy navigation and interaction with the device.
1.3 GHz pentium processor for efficient performance. This powerful processor allows for smooth multitasking and fast application loading.
Adequate storage and memory for everyday tasks and multitasking. The 8GB of memory ensures smooth performance, and the 128GB SSD provides ample storage for documents, music, and videos.
Up to 11 hours of on-the-go power, with fast charging support to quickly recharge the device when needed.
The new, more intuitive Windows 11 operating system is designed for natural and efficient use, making it easy to work, play, and create on the device.
The device has USB-C port, headphone jack, Bluetooth 5.0, and MicroSDXC Card Reader for easy connectivity to other devices and peripherals.
Adjustable Kickstand and Surface Pen:
The device has an adjustable kickstand for comfortable viewing at different angles, and the Surface Pen allows for precision and natural writing and drawing on the touchscreen.
The Type Cover allows the device to be used as a laptop, with a physical keyboard and touchpad for more traditional computing tasks.
The Surface Go 3 is lightweight and portable, making it easy to take with you wherever you go.
Microsoft Office Suite:
The device comes with the pre-installed Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) to help you be productive on the go.
- The compact and lightweight design makes it easy to take with you on the go.
- High-resolution touchscreen display with 220ppi for clear and vibrant visuals.
- Powerful Intel Core i3 Processor for efficient performance.
- Adequate storage and memory for everyday tasks and multitasking.
- All-day battery life with fast charging support.
- Windows 11 operating system for natural and efficient use.
- The storage space of 128GB may not be enough for heavy users who would like to save large files.
- It may not be the best device for gaming or running heavy applications.
- The device is powered by a Pentium processor which may not be as powerful as some other options.
- Battery life may not be sufficient for power users.
- The device runs on Windows S mode which limits the apps you can run and install.
Q: What are the main differences between an iPad and an Android tablet?
A: The main difference between an iPad and an Android tablet is the operating system. iPads use iOS, while Android tablets use the Android operating system. Additionally, iPads are typically more expensive and have more limited storage options, while Android tablets offer more storage options and are often more budget-friendly.
Q: What are the advantages of a tablet over a laptop?
A: Tablets have a number of advantages over laptops, including their portability and lightweight design, long battery life, and touchscreen interface. Tablets also tend to be more affordable than laptops and are often more versatile, as they can be used for both work and entertainment.
Q: How much storage do I need on a tablet?
A: The amount of storage you need on a tablet will depend on your usage. If you plan to store a lot of videos, music, and large files, you may want to opt for a tablet with at least 64GB of storage. If you mostly use your tablet for internet browsing, reading, and basic apps, 32GB of storage should be enough.
Q: Can I use a tablet as my primary device?
A: Yes, a tablet can be used as your primary device for many tasks, such as browsing the internet, email, social media, video conferencing, reading and taking notes, and even editing documents. However, it may not be ideal for more intensive tasks such as video editing and gaming.
Q: What is the difference between a tablet and an e-reader?
A: The main difference between a tablet and an e-reader is the primary function. Tablets are multi-purpose devices that can be used for a wide range of tasks, such as browsing the internet, watching videos, and playing games. E-readers, on the other hand, are primarily designed for reading e-books and often have a specialized e-ink display that reduces eye strain and is easy to read in direct sunlight.
Q: Can I use a tablet to make phone calls?
A: Yes, some tablets have cellular connectivity and can be used to make phone calls. However, not all tablets have this feature, so it’s important to check the specifications before purchasing. Additionally, you will need to have a phone number and a SIM card that is compatible with your tablet.
Q: Can I connect a keyboard and mouse to a tablet?
A: Yes, most tablets have a USB or Bluetooth port that allows you to connect a keyboard and mouse. This can be especially useful for tasks such as typing and editing documents. Some tablets also come with a detachable keyboard and can be used as a laptop.
Q: Can I install Windows on a tablet?
A: Some tablets, such as the Microsoft Surface Pro, come with Windows pre-installed and can run full Windows applications. Other tablets, such as those running Android or iOS, do not have the capability to run Windows but can use remote desktop or virtualization to access Windows applications.